Πέμπτη 8 Οκτωβρίου 2026

REVIEW: VOLTURE - Shocking Its Prey E.P.

 


VOLTURE - Shocking Its Prey E.P. (2011)


Heavy Artillery Records


Here is a band I would call truly inspired. On this EP, the U.S. metal outfit puts talent, inspiration and passion on full display. The musicians clearly understand that the N.W.O.B.H.M. doesn't begin and end with IRON MAIDEN. Their influences are drawn from a wide range of traditional metal styles, N.W.O.B.H.M. acts included, yet they add a personal touch to their sound. They don't merely show off how well they can replicate the 80's. They are 80's influenced, but their sound remains contemporary.


Musically, I noticed echoes of ANGEL WITCH, JUDAS PRIEST, MERCYFUL FATE and DIAMOND HEAD, and one might even hear traces of early METALLICA from the "Kill 'Em All" era. The production is very good: every instrument can be heard clearly, and the lead guitars and solos that enrich each song have been handled with great care, giving the riffs a melodic, memorable edge.



Another thing I value in a traditional metal band is its singer, and specifically how expressive he can be and how his voice elevates a song. Brent Hubbard delivers on this front, with a voice that sounds like a blend of Rob Halford (listen to "Heavy Metal Machine") and King Diamond, combining power with theatrical flair.


This is the kind of metal I love to listen to. Fans of the traditional sound should check them out.


Nick Parastatidis


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: