Πέμπτη 20 Αυγούστου 2026

REVIEW: Pressure Zone – Volume I

 


Pressure Zone – Volume I


Noisehead Records


Noisehead Records made a very good and genuinely smart move with Pressure Zone – Volume I, a compilation that appears to have been conceived as the first chapter in a wider series. Released in 2009 as a ten-track cardsleeve CD, the collection presents itself as a compact snapshot of the European underground rather than a conventional label sampler.


I call it a smart move for several reasons. First of all, the compilation was offered for free—which, if you happen to find a copy today, is certainly a good reason to grab it. We all know how appealing it is to discover a free compilation featuring different bands, because such releases give listeners the opportunity to explore unfamiliar corners of the metal scene and come across groups they might otherwise never encounter. If one of those bands makes a strong impression, the natural next step is to investigate their catalogue and, eventually, support them by purchasing their releases.


Noisehead Records, however, did something more interesting than simply promoting its own roster. The label brought together bands connected with different independent and established labels, creating a broader picture of the European metal underground. That approach gives Pressure Zone – Volume I a purpose beyond advertising: it functions as a small but meaningful document of a scene in motion.


The idea behind the compilation was to make metalheads more aware of the many interesting underground bands active across Europe. In that sense, Pressure Zone represents what its subtitle suggests: a European metal-underground-united movement. At a time when discovering new music was still heavily dependent on physical CDs, magazines, mail order, and word of mouth, compilations such as this one were particularly valuable. They served as musical maps, connecting listeners with bands from different countries and giving lesser-known acts an opportunity to reach an audience outside their immediate scene.


Musically, the collection is dominated by extreme metal. Nine of the ten participating bands explore styles ranging from melodic death metal to brutal death metal and metalcore. The sole traditional heavy metal representative is Toxic Virgin, a band I have known since its 2001 debut. They are a very good and interesting group that deserves support, and they contribute a catchy, memorable song that provides a welcome contrast to the more aggressive material surrounding it.


Among the extreme-metal acts, The Spektrum are truly magnificent. Their melodic death-metal approach combines heaviness with atmosphere and strong songwriting, making them the standout band for me. Their contribution is one of those tracks that immediately encourages further investigation—and that is precisely where a compilation like this succeeds.


I have mentioned these two bands because they provided my favourite moments, but this certainly does not mean that I disliked the remaining participants. The other groups all contribute worthwhile songs, and the compilation maintains a good level of quality throughout. The remaining eight bands are Demolition, Draconic, Rozenhill, Controlstate, Rien Sans Douleur, Necropsy, Nuestros Derechos and Preydatory.


Overall, Pressure Zone – Volume I is more than a free promotional disc. It is an enthusiastic attempt to unite different parts of the European underground and introduce listeners to bands that deserve attention. Its value lies not only in the individual songs, but also in the spirit behind the release: open-minded, supportive, and focused on discovery. For metalheads interested in exploring the European scene, this compilation is a small but worthwhile piece of underground history.


Christine  Parastatidou

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: