Τετάρτη 4 Νοεμβρίου 2020

CRYSTAL SKULL Interview

 


Genre: Heavy/Power Metal


Country: Italy


Questions by: Nick Parastatidis


Answers by: Claudio "The Reaper" (All Instruments, Vocals)


Site: Facebook


1. Hello. How are you Claudio?

 

Hi Nick, I am very well even if this period is not the best for the world. I am very busy at the moment with a lot of recording work (Sacro Ordine dei Cavalieri di Parsifal, Animal House, Crystal Skull) and other projects.


2. When the whole idea of creating a project like CRYSTAL SKULL was born in your mind? What motivated you to make it happen?


The Crystal Skull idea was born in 2006/2007, at the time I was playing in Black Raven (Heavy Metal) and in Violent Assault (Black / Thrash Metal), but I felt the need to do something even more Epic and powerful. I have always been a great lover of German Power Speed Metal and fantasy literature, I wanted to create something that represented my passions. And I think I did it with the first chapter.


3. Did you search for members to form the band or it was your decision CRYSTAL SKULL to be a solo project? What lead you to that decision?


At the beginning the idea was to form a real band, I have been looking for members for this band for about two years. However the events and the lack of lovers of this kind in my area have led me to completely change my path. Later when I realized that I could also deal with vocal recordings alone, I no longer bothered to look for other members and therefore I dedicated myself only to writing and recording the songs. But something that I wouldn't have been able to deal with if I didn't have the help of many of my musician friends like Carlo (SacroOrdine) and Marco (Moonlighthaze).


4. Which are the pros and which are the cons of working solo?


Among the things in favor of working alone I certainly find full control over song composition, full decision-making power over covers and lyrics. All the management and the choices are resolved in a short time because I don't have to deal with anyone.

 

The negative part is that you have to do all the expenses, the recording, the marketing and the study work yourself. Sometimes this task is heavy, but then when the results and the rewards arrive, they are all yours (laughs).


However I am always open to proposals from other musicians, if I find any musicians interested in joining this project I will be happy to try. Right now I'd mainly like to find a drummer and a singer to improve the quality of the project.


5. How did you come up with the name CRYSTAL SKULL? It was something spontaneous or you choose it after a research you did? Has a special meaning to you?


I was looking for a simple and direct name that represented my music. The name was supposed to represent my two favorite bands of all time, so Crystal is from one of my favorite Manilla Road records, while Skull is from my favorite work of Running Wild. Then I also liked the mystical and legendary idea of the crystal skull that allowed me to create the whole concept of the story.


6. Your label describes your sound as a Teutonic heavy power/metal. Partially I agree with that description but I believe that your sound has even more depth. How would you describe your sound to someone that hasn’t listened to you yet? Which artists you consider as your inspiration and influence?


I could describe my sound as Power Speed Epic Metal or Power Speed Fantasy Metal. For the power speed part I can name groups like Running Wild, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Rage, Accept, Iron Angel, Helloween etc. But as you have noticed, I don't draw inspiration only from the German land, the Epic part was inspired by bands like Omen, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Warlord, Liege Lord, Heathens Rage, Brocas Helm, Heavy Load, Candlemass, Crimson Glory etc.


7. “Ancient Tales” is a concept album. Am I right? Can you tell us a few things about the lyrics of the album?


Absolutely yes Nick, even if a bit atypical if you like. The first draft of the album, I think in 2010/2011, was almost completely different and more classic in the concept idea. The title itself instead anticipates to the listener that the disc will be a collection of fragments of epic stories and tales. As if we were taking a very ancient volume, of which, however, only certain parts could be read and translated.


The album is a story and tells the incredible adventures of three heroes (the Wizard Regdar Dundragon, the dwarf Turok and the Half-Elf Raven Erevyn) who try to save the world of Arendal from the conquest of the dark lord Am-Aras.


Each song is a small part of the journey, this journey will bring an evolution, a change along the three chapters. Someone will face great pain and trauma, while others will acquire new powers that will however affect the character. New figures will also be included and the setting may also vary. But on some aspects I will not tell you too much, otherwise I will already spoil the new album (in the process of recording).




8. By the way it seems that you like fantasy literature and movies. Can you tell us which are your favorite books and movies of the genre?


My love for this literary current was born with "The sword of shannara" by Terry Brooks, certainly I am more inclined to a classical style of which Tolkien is the supreme representative and which I adore. I still follow Terry Brooks and, even if the first trilogies are the most beautiful, I was very passionate as the story of Shannara's world continued (The TV series is terrible though hahaha). Then I love writers like Moorcock (his Erlic saga is something incredible). Robert Jordan ("The Wheel of Time"), Stephen King, Licia Troise, E.A. Poe, H.P. Lovcraft, Howard and many more that !!!


Unfortunately, in the world of cinema, fantasy never really exploded, at least it didn't until the release of "The Lord of the Rings", so there are few purely fantasy films. My favorites are Ladyhawk, The Fantastic Story, Excalibur, Goonies and Conan.


9. Is there a plan to release a new album under the name of CRYSTAL SKULL? When we will expect it?

 

The new Crystal Skull album is ready in terms of composition, I started recording a month ago. This time it will be a longer disc and will probably contain at least 12 tracks.


I am convinced that the disc is much more mature compared to "Ancient Tales" and it will continue to narrate the adventure undertaken by our three heroes. The style of the music will always be the same, Power, Speed and Epic !!!


I hope to complete the registration work in a year and then publish it perhaps in early 2022.


10. Since we talk about plans, are there any chances to find musicians and play your music live?


At the moment I'm more than happy to write and compose alone, without constraints and external pressures, but maybe there will be some more participation in the recordings. This is something I want to evaluate from time to time.


Right now I like to see a real band in the future of Crystal Skull, I'd like to find other members interested in this kind of project (if you are interested contact me! Laughs), mainly I'm looking for a drummer and a singer at the moment. Then for any live performances I can always call reinforcements from the other bands where I play.


Now is a difficult time to talk about concerts and festivals, but if in the future any organizer is interested in bringing Crystal Skull to the stage I would be honored and it would be another little dream come true.


11. Is there a certain method that you follow when you create your music? Do you write first the music and then the lyrics or vice versa?


Usually it all starts with a guitar riff or main melody. But in some cases I have written some songs starting from the chorus and after writing it I build the song around. It's a great process to be able to build, then break apart, then add parts before giving the song a final look. It doesn't always perform at its best, in fact I have many incomplete tracks waiting to be reviewed and fixed.


For the lyrics instead I always write them after writing all the musical parts. Except in some cases like Lake of dreams or Stormaxe.


12. How did press and fans so far have received your music? Can you tell us which is the best comment that you have received so far and which one the most bizarre?


I have to be honest Nick, I didn't know how the public and the industry experts would react in 2020 to listening to a record that sounds like a 90's album. Instead there have been few criticisms and negative reviews, mostly on the musical genre obsolete. I have received many good reviews both from Italy and abroad and I am very surprised. I was expecting a merciless attack on my music, but in reality there are still people like me connected to the bands and the sound of that era.


Regarding the most beautiful comment I could not tell you, but the review that most warmed my heart was that of Edoardo Goi (Insane Voices Labirynth). You and him Nick felt the beating heart and the idea of my music.


The winner for the most bizarre review was an Englishman, who described and wrote the review in one line of words. I don't want to say more about it ...


13. How all this coronavirus pandemic has affected you both as person and as musician?


Unfortunately, this pandemic has completely changed the way people live and think and in part it has been the same for me too. It has partly destroyed my social life, but I hope to recover as soon as this terrible time ends.


As a musician it was a tremendous trauma, for me and for all musicians and artists. Playing on stage is one of the most beautiful things in music and a year has passed since my last concert with the Sacred Order of the Knights of Parsifal in Slovenia. The only plus is the time available to compose and record new records.


14. Thanks for your time answering my questions. Please close the interview with your own words. Good luck and hope someday soon to see you for a live show here in Greece.

 

First let me thank you Nick and Behind The Veil Webzine for the interview and the chance to showcase my first work, it means a lot to me! I want to thank Maurizio from Underground Symphony Records again for believing in my work and my music! Finally I want to greet and thank all the friends who helped me bring to light this first chapter, you have been great! I really hope one day to be able to return to Greece, a wonderful country with wonderful people !! And you also eat very well !!!! Greetings to all Behind The Veil readers !!!


Stay Heavy ...

… STAY METAL !!!

May the Lords of Crystal ride with you ...

... May The Lords Of Skull rise again !!!

Claudio "The Reaper"


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: