Σάββατο 22 Ιουνίου 2019

SODOM - Code Red Review



SODOM - Code Red

Drakkar Records


One word: MASTERPIECE!! This album is a monument to the SODOM of the old and new. It's totally diverse and noteworthy. The way that the band goes from fast songs to more heavy rhythm ones. They really know how to change things up musically. My first impression of this album totally changed after I heard it a couple more times. My conclusion was written above. The production was the only thing keeping them from getting a full 100%. I think that the guitars were a little difficult to hear, but the riffs/leads were well executed. There are 13 songs on here, but each one isn't very long in length.

Tom Angelripper tears it up on vocals. The Germans do sound similar Tom somewhat like Schmier from DESTRUCTION, but he has his own sort of aura to him. I think his vocals mesh well with the guitars. There's no screaming or anything like that at all. Just a hoarse voice throughout. But the music matches to the vocals, hands-down. There are some songs that have a unique groove to them. Not all of them, a lot of them though. I'm missing SODOM of the old lineup but the guitars are still good and Tom is still tearing it up on vocals. This release is anything but boring. It's just different in the sense that it's not your quasi typical thrash album.

The drum pounding is a little flat, hence the err in the production quality. I totally hear this. But still everything is right on cue to the music. I totally respect this band and what they have to offer the thrash metal community. I must say that I like the faster songs more, though all of them are good. Definitely worthy of praise. All of the songs. Everything on here has meaning, it's not just a thrash record made for the sake of a thrash album.  They do have much to put out and years to come. I do admit that I dislike some of the newer music that they've put out. If they totally go back to their roots then they'll be more likable.

If you don't own this, do yourself a favor and do own it! Or at least download it on Spotify or play it on YouTube. It may take time like it did with me to get used to. But it's worth it. You'll hear things differently upon a few listens to. And then you'll probably make the determination that I did and call this a masterpiece! It's true though, especially those faster riffs you'll feel the vibe. No matter what anyone says about this album, good or bad, I have my own opinion. I think SODOM really did a quality job in the songwriting in hope to win fans into the understanding their style. It's thrash done the way that they make it that way.  That is, German style...


Ryan Fanucchi

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: