Παρασκευή 14 Μαΐου 2021

DUNGEON WOLF Interview


Genre: Heavy Metal


Country: U.S.A.


Questions by: Nick Parastatidis


Answers by: Deryck Heignum (Vocals, Guitars)


Site: Facebook


1) My hails to the dungeon master. How are you?


Hey Nick.  I’ve been better.  In the throes of a nasty drug addiction right now.  Been reading Aleister Crowley’s “Diary of a Drug Fiend” and getting a bit too into the narcotic splendor as it were.  I have composed some most splendid poetry though.  Worthy of Lord Byron perhaps?  What say you?  Haha. I joke of course.  I’m not in league with the greats though perhaps I’m unmatched in the modern sphere.  I’m not sure how long I have to live so I just hope I can see what this amazing new album does in terms of its imprint on the culture at large.

 

2) You have ready the sophomore album of DUNGEON WOLF entitled “Metal’s Back”. How do you feel about it? Are there things that you would like to differently now that is finished?


I feel it’s one of the best metal albums in recent time. The production was all reel to reel analog tape and it has a vitality to it that other albums are solely lacking.  In your review you referred to younger listeners having a difficult time without the namby pamby polished production but I do declare this isn’t for those noobs!! Noobs beware! Ha!! This ain’t for the youngsters!!   There are some technical innovations I’ve been trying to buy in terms of pre amps and other gear.  The next album should be even more amazing!! Get some!! Ha!!


3) Which are the new elements that entitled “Metal’s Back” brings to the sound of the band? Which are the similarities and which the differences between “Metal’s Back” and “Slavery or Steel”?


This is a much more raw and primal album than “Slavery or Steel” was.  It’s not as orante per se but its much more aggressive! You’ll feel this motherfucker.  A big influence to move in this direction were early KISS demos I listened to on Youtube.  I was able to hear the superiority in the raw rock sound they had prior to the more “polished” albums.


4) DUNGEON WOLF don’t differ musically from NORSELAW, which were the reasons that mad you to change the band name?


Norselaw was a reaction to everyone around me getting into rap music and acting ghetto.  Both things I wasn’t a fan of.   So me and some guys who were into viking metal at the time started rapping in death metal voices about Viking shit.  It was pretty funny but the viiking thing is kind of overdone at this point.  Not really as cool or uncool as it was at the time.  We all had sweet Viking Rap names like Leif Rhymerson and Valhalla Ice.  Got a deal with DMG music which was a division of Warner Bros. but as it moved forward I just started doing more traditional music.  I figured it was better to start fresh and not attach new music to Viking Rap. Haha


5) You told me there is a special philosophy of how you approach metal music through DUNGEON WOLF, can you explain it?


My tour de force, as it were, is to take the greatest music ever which classic rock/metal and imprint my own distinct creativity on it.  So this isn’t some trite novelty act.  This is a man taking the genre forward and making it relevant again.  I’m not one of those youngsters in Greta Van Fleet ripping off Led Zepplin.  Tuth be told I fear that merry band of Hobbits.  If they were to hear Dungeon Wolf it would be mere seconds before they were stealing my unique and most glorious sound.


6) Are lyrics important to you? How do you chose which lyrics fit to which composition?


The music is like the balls and the lyrics are like the penis.  You can’t have one without the other.  I’ll often listen to the music in a very sparse landscape and the inebriate myself till the lyrics come to me.



7) Can you describe us the lyrical themes of your new album?


There’s much in the way of lyrical themes on my albums.  Much for the common man to use in quest of evolving his intellectuality.  I dare not give away all the goodies but I’m in a charitable mood and will bless you with one explanation.  The song “Bilbo Bagans” was written in order to put Dungeon Wolf in the same conversation as Led Zeppelin.  It so happens that I’m probably much more of a literary man than Robert Plant is and I felt I could take the rock and roll allusions to Tolkien and wield them with a dash more, dare I say, aplomb.  Now, we know Bilbo to be a great Hobbit in the book.  However, I felt what if I were to rewrite Tolkien?  What if I were to tell the story anew?   You never thought of this did you Greta Van Fleet? Ha!  So instead I reimagined Bilbo as a Degenerate.  What if perhaps he never even left the Shire and his musings were merely the ravings of a drug addict not attached to reality?


8) When do you plan to release “Metal’s Back” officially? Will it be through a record label?


We will release it ourselves in about a month.

 

9) The production of your album has a rough sound that reminds me of demos that metal bands did in the 80’s. Do you agree on that? Did you want to achieve such a result?


I don’t know about the 80s but one source of inspiration was listening to early Kiss demos on youtube and realizing the old songs had a vitality and power unmatched by their more polished albums

 

10) U.S. had a troubled year with the elections and the pandemic. Which are your thoughts about it and how did this affected you as a person and musician?


It enabled me to have more time to do drugs and create a Youtube channel where I review various bands and genres of music.  It’s nice for the viewer because they have a skilled musician able to guide them in forming opinions.  Like and subscribe.  Here is the link   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ZGM_izNa7HUTQtTgtYuVw


11. By the way you also had created a thrash metal band. Will you continue to create music through it? Do you have any other musical projects that you woyld like to realize?


Stormlurker is still available via Bandcamp.  I still listen to that sort of music but it’s not where my head is creatively at the moment.  https://stormlurker.bandcamp.com/album/a-dark-formation


12. Thanks for your time answering my questions. Please close the interview in your own unique way and take care…. 

 

I know I was hard on the youngsters earlier in the interview and I wanted to take a moment to apologize.  You’re a growing demographic and your economic power is not to be taken for granted!  However, I must laugh at your intellect and decision making ability.  What was it I heard the youth were listening to recently?  Oh yes, “trap metal”.  Ha!  You’re better off listening to nursery rhymes.  A far more superior form of music indeed!  Fortunately you find me in a most charitable mood.  I’ll allow you to purchase my album when it becomes available.  Heed my words and do not take this offer lately noobs.  This is your sole shot at not only sophistication but redemption!  I see you sucking on your mama’s tit like some preemie baby listening to “trap metal” rap music and whatever else they serve up to you on a scoundrel’s platter.  So buy my shit!! Get some!


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: