Κυριακή 28 Μαΐου 2023

REVIEW: BEHEMOTH - Opvs Contra Natvram

 



BEHEMOTH - Opvs Contra Natvram


Nuclear Blast Records


Homepage


I never really liked this band not because of the lyrical concepts but because I just didn't like the music.  I got this one to try out and I love it!  Not only is it dark, but the music is anything other than a "B" rating to me.  Not so certain about the critics.  And since the rhythms were good alongside the vocals, the leads are superb.  I didn't much care for 'The Satanist' though it got fair ratings.  I may have to get that album.  These guys are a dark band but what I'm concerned with are the songs and music.  The riffs are (to me) fresh and original.  Everyone on here contributed a lot to this probably giving it a "B" without question.


I was pausing when I first heard the intro to Track 1 and despite its eerie beginning, the song segues into some hardcore death metal riffs.  So, the mixing went well on this release which did justice to the rest of the album.  The vocals are tolerable, and they work alongside the music.  Fresh songwriting here and the lead guitars do a great job as well.  I was mostly listening for the riffs and vocals.  Though all the instruments went in accordance with the rest of the songs.  I am surprised since I do have a hard time at this point in my life of songs about Satanism and anti-Christianity.  Not even Deicide do I listen to much anymore knowing their lyrics.


That being said, I filtered out the lyrics and just paid attention to the music.  I'm thinking of getting more of their releases, just not the overly raw stuff.  This one was a well-produced release.  I don't really have anything bad to say about it.  I'm not giving it a perfect score, but like I said, it's a "B" rating.  The album could've been a little longer than 43 minutes, but I think it was adequate.  I'm surprised by the negative press.  I'm just keeping an open mind to this one.  They really did a good job in songwriting and the vocals were good.  I am confident that they have more of a longer life to them!


I took a chance and bought the CD.  I wasn't convinced after one listen that I liked it.  It took numerous listens to to finally get into it.  Definitely check it out on streaming services before buying the album. They put out some evil death metal that's worth it if you hear the riffs and vocals. Production quality was sound and the whole album slays!  Maybe it'll take you time to warm up to this or maybe not.  Maybe you'll hate it but I assure you that I understand. But I wouldn't agree with you on if it's good or not.  I think that the whole album is killer.  And I curse those giving this one negative press.  Own this!



Ryan “Death8699” Fanucchi


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: