Κυριακή 19 Μαρτίου 2023

REVIEW: AMON AMARTH - The Great Heathen Army

 


AMON AMARTH - The Great Heathen Army


Metal Blade Records


Homepage


This is a solid release. I'm not a big fan of this band but I'll have to say that they did a good job with the guitar riffs.  That's what stands out the most for me.  And the vocals go well with the music.  They're really in sync altogether.  The production quality is solid too.  I'm not a fan of the lyrical concepts, but they did well altogether on this release.  There's a few guest musicians on here briefly you can hear the power metal vocals on one of the later track ("Saxons and Vikings").  I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been all high ratings for this album.  It's really a good album, it has all the makings of quality melodic death metal.


The music carries with the vocals quite good!  The rhythms/melodies are quite good for a band that I've overlooked for far too long.  These guys do a good job of piecing the music together and making it work well.  The tempos weren't exceptionally fast.  In fact, they had some pretty wicked rhythms and melodies.  About 43 minutes of sheer melodic death galore.  And the Viking spirit reigns supreme on here.  The tempos are pretty slow on here but wholly melodic. They seem to piece everything together where it flows.  The only thing that I dislike somewhat are the vocals.  I just think that they could've been arranged better.


Overall, I think this album is solid.  The vocals aren't my favorite but the music hit-home with me!  The riffs are ok, not their greatest but still catchy and full of life!  The vocals go well alongside the music.  Though I have to be in a certain mood to tolerate the vocals.  I like the melodies and it's consistent the whole album.  For the naysayers, they say that they're not a fan of their music.  I think that since they're in the melodic death metal genre, they're pretty solid on here.  I actually got the CD of this I was tired of the digital download.  To me, it's important to show respect for the band not just streaming music.


The production quality was good on here and the sound to the music was solid, well mixed.  They definitely got their act together for this one.  I don't think it's better than a "B" on here.  I think they deserve it.  You'll have to test the waters with this one.  I suppose that you'll really like it or just think it's garbage.  I liked it and I thought it was consistent.  The guitars were my favorite instrument throughout.  As I say, you have to be in the mood to play this, otherwise it might be irritating.  If you're a die-hard fan, that statement doesn't apply.  Since I'm not overly familiar with the band, I thought this is a solid release!



Ryan “Death8699” Fanucchi


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: