Παρασκευή 7 Ιουνίου 2024

REVIEW: LEADBREAKER – Overdrive

 



LEADBREAKER – Overdrive


Stormspell Records


Facebook


The heavy metal music was never and will never become particularly commercial. The few exceptions simply confirm the rule. But this "weakness" is essentially what makes it strong and unique. You see, the musician who deals with this genre is first and foremost a fan of it and also doesn't feel any pressure to release albums solely for sales. They release when they feel they have something to offer their audience.


This, I think, explains the decision of the Swedish band LEADBREAKER to release their album four years after their debut. And listening to the result, I have the feeling that this "abstinence" worked beneficially for them.


Their music, they don't hide it anyway, is inspired by the British metal scene of the 1980s mainly. Yes, from what we call succinctly NWOBHM. And no, they're not just another band copying early IRON MAIDEN, thankfully.



Their influences are more "sophisticated." Personally, I'd say I recognized references to bands like RAVEN, SAXON, and JUDAS PRIEST. Also, the roughness of their sound at some points brings to mind the old good ANVIL, perhaps even MOTORHEAD. And I'll burst if I don't say it, but the composition titled "The Machine" personally reminded me of RUNNING WILD during the period they released "Port Royal." Moreover, I got the impression that the band has something of AC/DC in its DNA.


Indeed, many influences were gathered, but the band manages quite well to assimilate them into its own style and offer us a very compact album of pure and exhilarating heavy metal that possesses variety and many memorable moments.


Concluding the presentation, I will note that this album captivated me with its spontaneity, convinced me of its sincerity, and made me enjoy spending time with it, turning me into a listener rather than someone who just hears it to present it.



Παραστατίδης Νικόλαος


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: