Τετάρτη 15 Ιουλίου 2015

HOLLOW HAZE - Memories of an Ancient Time review



 HOLLOW HAZE - Memories of an Ancient Time
Scarlet Records
HOLLOW HAZE is a band that I have already presented in the webzine and I have to say that it is a band that I appreciate since they release albums that are worked in detail and have certain quality. I know that everything is a matter of taste, but I have to recognize to them that they give it all into the album that they create. So, let us see what their new work has to offer us.
THE COVER: Do you like the theory that ancient alien civilizations helped humans to evolve or even better do you like the movie and the T.V. series STARGATE? I personally love them and this is what the cover of HOLLOW HAZE’s new album brought to my mind. You can see on it a futuristic representation of the pyramid and the sphinx. I think (without being sure since I don’t have the lyrics) that the cover is connected with the lyrics of the album since it is a concept about alien civilizations.
MUSICAL STYLE: HOLLOW HAZE are tagged as a progressive metal band and I think that this is a term that misleads, especially if you think that progressive metal is the kind of complicated nonsense that DREAM THEATER play. On the other hand if you think progress as an experimentation and combination between different musical genres, then HOLLOW HAZE is such a band. Actually, in my opinion the band’s basis is the European oriented heavy/power metal sound and they combine that with some symphonic metal elements and they have a few progressive metal structures in their compositions.
COMPOSITIONS: The new release of HOLLOW HAZE includes 12 compositions all of which belong to the modern European heavy/power metal sound and they have some symphonic metal touches that give to them a dramatic and also epic touch. I believe that the use of symphonic metal elements gives to their sound a feeling that you listen to a soundtrack of an epic science fiction movie. Also the vocals on this album are contributed by Mats Leven, Rick Altzi and Amanda Somerville. I think that this is a release that will be appreciated by the fans of bands like good old EDGUY and AVANTASIA.
CONCLUSION: Once more HOLLOW HAZE can be proud of themselves since they have created an album that brings a fresh air to the power metal genre and it has imagination, catchy melodies and an epic and yet cinematic atmosphere. The fans of this sound will surely love it.
Nick “Verkaim” Parastatidis

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: