Genre: Gothic Rock/Metal
Questions by: Nick Parastatidis
1. Hello. How are you? How are things on VERGIL camp right now? Which are your near future plans?
Hi! Things at VERGIL camp are quite neutral. We are planning some live shows and writing new material.
2. The title of your new EP “Bright as Shadow” is very controversial. How does a shadow born from light while being dark can be bright? How was this controversy inspired and which is your interpretation?
Well, it is just something that sounded like it could be our title for something. It`s also quite gothic and paradoxical but doesn`t have any bigger than life meaning. Just sounded cool.
3. How long did it take you to complete the songs on this EP? Which was the one you composed first and which one last?
I think it took a couple of years. We took it slow. If I remember correctly first was “Taken Under” and last was “Nation Of Ägräs”.
4. Which are the common ground and the differences between your songs that you have included in “Bright as Shadow”?
They all have this feeling of desperation and sadness in them. There are some new angles in there that we haven`t used before. The songs are maybe easier to approach than before. Couple of songs could perhaps be played on mainstream radio or something.
5. The gothic rock/metal sound usually expresses sad or nostalgic emotions. According to you is there place for more happy emotions?
Sure. For example as a band we are quite easy going and relaxed guys. We don`t dwell in sadness and sorrow. If you listen to the song “Trifle” from our new EP, it has this kind of happy sing along chorus. Happy, why not.
6. We usually think the musicians of Gothic Rock/Metal genre as sad people. Are you sad or do you use your music as an instrument of cleansing, to express all these emotions that make you sad?
Kind of answered to that in the previous question but no. Most of the time we are not sad but playing music can help you to get rid of some negative feelings. It can also be some kind of cleansing.
7. Being an artist and musicians in specific what frustrates you and what makes you happy on this “job”?Why do you release EP albums and not a full length? Are there any plans for a full length release soon?
We all have day jobs in our band, so this is not our job. This is our hobby and it`s a hobby that makes us forget everyday problems and create something that we enjoy. We released a full length before this EP and we are writing new material at the moment for an album which will be recorded next year. Hopefully we will get it released some next year also. So it is in the horizon.
8. If you had the opportunity to collaborate with known musicians of the rock – metal scene who would you like them to be and why?
It would be nice to do something with SISTERS OF MERCY or THE CULT maybe. Those are great bands that have also influenced us. PARADISE LOST and TYPE O NEGATIVE members would also be highly appreciated. MY DYING BRIDE etc.
9. I know that anyone can listen “Bright as Shadow” and make his own mind about it, but for which reasons would you like a listener to enjoy your album that would make you feel satisfied?
Hard to say. If you enjoy the songs, anything goes. If you like one song or even a part of it, I`m happy.
10. Does creativity come to you as an urge that you need to express immediately or is it more a slow and logical process?
The older we get, it has a tendency to get slower. I don`t think it has ever been a logical process. Logic and art don`t always go hand in hand.
11. Thanks for your time answering my questions. The epilogue of this interview belongs to you…
Thank you for the interview and your support. Do us a favor and listen to our new EP for example at https://soundcloud.com/vergilfinland